The Benefits of a Bilingual Education
The benefits of a bilingual education on a child’s mind have long been established. Some of these benefits include:
- Canadian researchers have found on average that bilingual students have an IQ 14 points higher than monolingual students.
- Bilingualism improves memory, decision-making and cognitive skills.
- Second language comprehension enhances music and mathematical skills.
- Children between the ages of 0-7 have the best natural retention of second languages.
- Develop capacity to learn and understand educational concepts
- Have a better analytical and critical mind
- Bilingual education is a powerful factor of intellectual stimulation
- Bilingual education make concepts more transferable
- Better results in mathematics and music (Broca’s area)
- Students reach and exceed their own academic potential
More than just a Second Language
Along with the practical advantages of raising a bilingual child, there are also several other benefits that come with learning a new language.
- Discovering a new culture
- Developing different ways of thinking
- Encouraging tolerance and worldliness
- Receiving a better chance of succeeding in school
- Expanding a student’s world through communication
- Ability for a bilingual child to learn a 3rd, even 4th language
- Bilingual children develop more tolerance and broadmindedness
- Better ability to adapt to new situations
- Better sensitivity in interpersonal communication
- Better chance to succeed in school
- Better chance in life